Halloween is a great holiday for tons of reasons: you get to dress up, you get a lot of free candy, and you get to stay up late hanging out with pals!
While you are picking out the best, coolest costume around, keep these things in mind:
- Wear bright colors that can be easily seen. Wear clothing that fits so you don't trip or get tangled up easily.
- Masks can look super cool but they might make it hard to see or breathe. Think about using face-paint or a hat instead. Be sure this hat fits and won't block your vision.
- Grab a flashlight so you can see and be seen.
- If you have a sword or cane as part of your costume, make sure it is small enough to handle and not sharp enough to hurt anyone.
- Call 911 if you get lost or find yourself in an emergency.
Trick or Treating
If you head out to go trick or treating, here are some tips to stay safe:
- Always bring an adult around. Mom and Dad or an older sibling may even get into the Halloween spirit and dress up with you!
- If you are old enough to go alone, have a game plan in mind of where you are going and when you will be back home.
- Only trick or treat at homes with lighted porches. Do not go into homes or cars of strangers for any reason.
- It's fun and best to go trick or treating in a group. Always stay with the group and decide ahead of time where you you want to go and what you want to do.
The candy is what Halloween is all about. Here are some healthy tips about candy:
- Eat a big meal before you go out. Eating before trick or treating will keep you from eating too much candy and getting a stomach-ache.
- It is tempting to eat all of your stash at once. However, it is healthier and smarter to eat your candy over the next several weeks.
- Go through all of your candy at home with a grownup first to make sure it is safe to eat.
Following this Halloween advice will let you have the most fun in a safe way. Get out there and have a great time!