Talking With Your Child’s Doctor
You and your child are essential members of the healthcare team. Please be sure to ask us questions at any time about your child's stay. Some common questions you may need the answers to include:
- Do you have any written information or resources that I can use to learn more about my child's health needs?
- Can you explain the tests and procedures that will be done while my child is in the hospital?
- Who should I talk to if I have questions about my child's care?
- When and how will I learn about my child's test results?
- Do I need to schedule a follow-up appointment after my child is discharged?
- What is the name of the medicine?
- What is the medicine for?
- Is it safe to give if my child has allergies or adverse reactions to some medicine?
- When we go home, how am I supposed to give it? What time each day? With or without food?
- If my child is still taking the medicine once we go home, how long should my child continue taking it?
- Are there any side affects?
- Is the medicine safe to give with other medicines or dietary supplements? What food, drink or activities should my child avoid while taking the medicine?
- Who should I contact if I have questions about the medicine?
- Are there any support groups where I can connect with other parents?
- Do you know of any other local or Internet-based resources?