Nearly 30 celebrity coaches, including Baseball Hall of Famer Whitey Herzog, MU head football coach Gary Pinkel and former MU Tiger football player and NFL assistant coach Johnny Roland joined more than 100 local golfers in raising a record $77,450 for MU Children’s Hospital.
Former Children's Hospital
patient Wilson Sundvold
hits first shot of tourney
The first-ever MPIX Coaches for Kids Celebrity Golf Classic was held June 13 at The Club at Old Hawthorne in Columbia.
The $77,450 raised represents the largest amount ever raised at a single charity golf event in the Columbia area.
“It is a blessing to see so many celebrity coaches rally together to support our patients at Children’s Hospital,” said Timothy Fete, M.D., medical director of Children’s Hospital and chair of the Department of Child Health at the MU School of Medicine. “All of us at Children’s Hospital want to thank the coaches and sponsors of the Coaches for Kids Celebrity Golf Classic for helping our patients grow into their dreams as healthy, happy kids.”
Hal Williamson Jr., M.D., vice
chancellor of MU Health
System (left), receives check
in the amount of $77,450 from
Jack Smith (right)
The Coaches for Kids Celebrity Golf Classic was the brainchild of advertising executive, long-time University of Missouri supporter and alumnus, and American Advertising Federation Hall of Famer Jack Smith of Columbia.
“I organized this tournament, because I work on the advertising for Children’s Hospital, and I know first-hand what a great hospital it is,” said Smith. “The Coaches for Kids Celebrity Golf Classic united some very important coaches for a very important cause.”
Smith credits much of the tournament’s success to the coaches who gave of their time to play in the tournament and the outpouring of support from more than 30 local, state and national sponsors.
“With the support of so many coaches and sponsors, we can touch the lives of many children who will benefit from the outstanding care they receive at Children’s Hospital,” said Smith.
In addition to Herzog, Pinkel and Roland, the celebrity coaches participating in the tournament included:
• Mike Alden, MU Athletic Director and former assistant football coach at University of Evansville
• Terry Allen, head football coach at Missouri State University
• Kim Anderson, head basketball coach at University of Central Missouri
• Bryan Blitz, head women’s soccer coach at MU
• Dave Christensen, head football coach at the University of Wyoming
• Ehren Earleywine, head softball coach at MU
• Jim Hanifan, broadcaster and former head coach of the St. Louis Rams
• Josh Henson, MU football offensive line coach at MU
• Andy Hill, MU football receivers’ coach
• Mike Jones, head football coach at Lincoln University and former MU and NFL player
• John Kadlec, special assistant to MU athletic director and former MU assistant football coach
• Matt Lawrence, assistant basketball coach at MU
• Ted LePage, head football coach at Jefferson City High School
• Gary Link, special assistant to MU athletic director
• Brian McRae, former Kansas City Royals baseball player and coach of the U.S. World Baseball Team
• Rich Poe, former men’s head golf coach at MU
• Warren Powers, former Mizzou football head coach and NFL player
• Stephanie Priesmeyer, head women’s golf coach at MU
• Mary Scott, former women’s head golf coach at MU
• Jay Spoonhour, head basketball coach at Moberly Area Community College
• Dave Steckel, MU football defensive coordinator
• Bob Stull, athletic director at the University of Texas-El Paso and former head football coach at MU
• Bill Tobin, NFL scout and former MU football player
• John Utley, teaching pro and former All-American golfer at MU
• Tony Van Zant, assistant football coach at Lincoln University
• David Yost, MU football offensive coordinator
The title sponsor of the tournament was MPIX. The tournament’s major sponsors were the Missouri Orthopaedic Institute and Columbia Orthopaedic Group. Presenting sponsors included Aflac, Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc., Forrest Chevrolet, Jack Smith Creative Services, Inc., PIC-1 Medical, Gary Pinkel, Bob and Connie Pugh, Sundvold Financial and The Insurance Group.
The tournament’s chef’s sponsors were Commerce Bank, KRCG-TV, PIC-1 Medical, and Zimmer Radio. Supporting sponsors included Baker HD, Century Link, Fast Signs, N.H. Scheppers Distribution Company, P&D Electric Inc., Shelter Insurance, Drs. Mike and Jan Sherman, Chris Smith, the Tiger Institute for Health Innovation, Titleist and Walsworth.
In addition, tee sponsors included Mike and Rockie Alden, AnnaBelle Events, Atkins, Boone County National Bank, the Churchill Family, Coil Construction, Hawthorn Bank, Landmark Bank, McCormick Home Improvement, McDonald’s (Mark and Kate Mehle), Mid America Harley-Davidson, Providence Bank, Jim and Doris Ross and University Physicians. Coordinating the event was Anne Churchill, owner of AnnaBelle Events.
To view photos and a video highlighting the MPIX Coaches for Kids Celebrity Golf Classic, please visit: www.muhealth.org/coachesforkids.