Spending too much time in the sun increases your risk of skin cancer. If you sunbathe, take the following steps to protect yourself:
- Limit the time you spend in the sun. Set a timer or alarm if you think you may fall asleep.
- Do not overdo it when warm weather first appears. Begin with 15 minutes a day or less of sun exposure and slowly increase your time spent in the sun.
- Use large amounts of sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, even on cloudy days.
- Wear dark sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- If you are near the water or working outside, cover up with waterproof and sweat-proof sunscreen. After swimming, toweling off, sweating, and/or vigorous activity, reapply sunscreen.