To avoid sunburn:
- Select shaded areas for outdoor activities.
- Wear a broad-brimmed hat, tightly woven clothing, a long-sleeved shirt (preferably cotton), long pants and gloves when you plan to spend long periods of time in the sun. If you wear a baseball-type hat and plan to spend a long time outdoors, tuck a handkerchief under the back of the hat to cover your neck.
- If you are unable to cover up, use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15.
- If possible, avoid tanning for long periods of time, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. during the summer months.
- Don't use sun lamps.
- Be careful when taking prescription medications, which sometimes make your skin more sensitive to UV rays. Consult your doctor.
- Apply a lip balm with sunscreen. Reapply frequently.
- Remember to guard against sunburn year-round and on cloudy days.