Fitting exercise into your routine
Thirty minutes per day can seem like a lot, but the good news is you can divide it up into two 15-minute sessions or three 10-minute sessions per day and still receive the heart-healthy benefits of aerobic activity. Any time of the day is a great time of the day to exercise. You just need to take into account your personal schedule and energy level. The main thing is to consistently make time for exercise. There are lots of ways to get the physical activity that you need; sometimes you just have to get creative! Here are a few tips to incorporate exercise into your daily routine:
- Use the stairs when possible.
- Do yard work such as raking leaves, gardening and mowing (a riding lawn mower doesn't count).
- Wash your car by hand.
- Take the dog for a walk. Bring a friend along!
- During work, take the long way to the restroom or mailroom.
- Use your break to take a 10-15 minute walk. Invite a friend to join you.
- Turn shopping into an aerobic activity by walking for 10 minutes straight in the mall before going into a store.
- Play with your children or grandchildren for 30 minutes.
- Park farther away at the store.
If you have plenty of time but need ideas on what to do, this list can give you new ideas on ways to get active.